Sign up for VoidMag
Find us on Facebook
The guys at Huffy slider are continuing to grow their UK team to keep in line with the rapid growth of this exciting underground sport. We caught up with Plymouths James Laws a few short months ago about being the first rider on the Huffy UK team and before the dust could settle Huffy have added a second rider to their roster. Joe Jenks is obviously a great addition to the team with over a year of sliding under his belt and being the founder of one of the communities best known groups in the South West. It seemed rude not to say hello and find out a little more about Huffys latest edition to its UK team so we sent Nathan Baker to find out a little more about Joe.
– Hi Joe, thanks for your time, how you doing?
Hello, that’s alright glad to be speaking
– Lets get some of the obvious stuff out of the way then. Who are you, where you from and how long have you been sliding down hills sideways?
I’m joe Jenks, I’m nineteen. I’m from wellington, in somerset and I’ve started sliding about a year and a half ago. Shortly after I started Triking I founded South West ️drift trikes just so I could meet more people that were in to sliding.
– Sweet and how did you find out about drift trikes yourself as this is no main stream sport?
Yeah man it’s a sick sport. I had seen videos on you tube of guys in the USA and New Zealand sliding on homemade trikes and thought that was Pretty sick. Then my friend Matt Millton invited me to have ago on one he had made. Once I had one little run on his trike I was hooked!
– I know that feeling! You mentioned that you founded South West drift trikes to meet other riders, is that a club or a community?
Yeah, I’m not really sure what Swdt is any more haha I like to think of us as a community. I never want any one to feel like they weren’t welcome to come slide with us, wether that’s at one of our large meet ups at Cheddar or at one of our smaller chilled slide sessions. Its always been about sharing the sport for me .
– I’ve noticed that within the community of riders that I have met or on social media from overseas, there’s a lot of love amongst riders. The likes of coast to coast drifters sharing videos from hills everywhere in the world is a prime example of this . What is it do you think that builds such a fun friendly environment amongst all the participants?
This is one of the things I love the most about the sport is that we all want the same thing really, which is just to slide. Most people in the trike community aren’t really worried about personal gain we all just want to see the sport get bigger. I think this brings us all closer together whilst still being a very welcoming community.
- Do you think there are more getting involved in sliding now compared from when you started?
Yeah man loads more. The very first every SWDT meet up had only six people turn up, compare that to the last ️Cheddar meet which had around thirty-five you can see the growth even on a local scale.
– That’s great to hear! So how would you suggest someone who thinks it looks like a bit of fun goes about getting involved themselves?
I would say get on Facebook like a few page like the South West drift trikes, Drift Trikes UK and Huffy drift trikes UK. then head over to drift trikes UKs online shop and pick your self up a huffy at a great price and simply come out and have some fun. the best bit about buying a trike from some where like DTUK is that it really helps out others in the community and the guys that run it will do what ever they can to help you.
– Now on to what you ride, you’re sponsored by Huffy slider UK can you give us a run down of you ride and what you like about it?
Yeah, so Huffy have recently sponsored me. They have given be an epic Huffy pro 3 which is so sick. It honestly just rides so well, you can just look at 90′ and hold it for ages. I really like the shape of the frame and the fact that it sits so close to the floor. It just feels a lot safer then any other trikes I have ridden. I love that the pro 3 comes stock with kart wheels and pvc sleeves, that’s really good. I have a few plans for my pro 3, I lot of what I ride I need pedals for so I hope to get my hands on a pro 2 front end for it. But its Pretty much perfect how it is.
– As you said you have just been picked up by Huffy, how did that come about?
Well a month or so ago most of the UKs drift trikes community went to Wales for a mass drift trip. A couple of weeks after that Nathan from Huffy UK called me up and gave me the offer and well off course I excepted. it’s really good to have such a great company backing me and I’m really excited for the future now that I am riding for these guys.
– Perfect, well I’m sure we’ll be seeing lots more from you under the Huffy in the future, just a few quick fire questions to end with…cats or dogs?
Gotta go with fish on that one
– Hot or cold?
– Favourite ice cream
– Favourite kids book creature ?
Didn’t read books :/
– Massive thanks for your time today is there any shout outs you’d like to make before we wrap this up?
I would just like to thank the guys at Huffy for the sponsorship, my girlfriend Chels for supporting me and putting up with me always being out on my trike and all my mates in the trike community for their support. Cheers.
– Nice one Joe, Catch you soon!
Words – Nathan Baker
Images – www.mercerphotography.co.uk