Sign up for VoidMag
Find us on Facebook
– Hi Shawn, I would like to start with some basic information about Rivington Bikes. Where about’s are you located and how long have you been open for?
We are located in the center of Chorley in the North West of England, Rivington Bikes was established in 2007 and we have been at this shop for 4 years.
– Please tell us a little history behind the shop, where it came from and where it’s going?
The shop name came from a place 4 miles away called Rivington Pike, as a semi pro cyclist I spent a lot of time training on the climbs and the place is close to my heart. Six years ago I was storing bikes for a company and also selling on eBay myself, customers were asking me to build there bikes, so I decided to open a small shop, within a year the shop was to small so I took a gamble to open a shop three times the size.
– Although originally a bike shop how do you feel about being apart of the freestyle scooting scene as a retailer and have you been surprised by how big the market has become?
The shop has grown due to the scooter side of the market I always remember Andrew Mee the rep for grit calling me saying, forget play station, Xbox and BMX’s, this year the presents kids will want are scooters, and to be honest I laughed, I though long and hard after that conversation, and since then never looked back with the product.
– In your eyes how is the scooter scene doing in the North West?
The scooter scene is still growing in the North West and there are skate parks being built indoor and outdoor all the time.
– Compared to the year that preceded it, 2013 has been a tough year for the freestyle scooting market. Why do you think this is and what has made you stick it out?
Yes this year has been hard but not just for the scooter market, the scooter brands we deal with cannot be faulted in my opinion, and if you buy quality it last. I think it’s great seeing the kids coming in and picking their scooters for birthdays or for Christmas.
– What is exciting you about scooting right now?
I think it’s, what design and style they can they come up with next.
– Thanks for your time guys, any final word or shout outs?
I would just like to thank all our customers for the continued support, Greenover distribution and the wonderful team I have that make sure Rivington Cycles runs smoothly every day.